Saturday, November 19, 2011

Judas turned Prodigal Son: Kieran McGlinchey's Story

McGlinchey with TOTH

Kieran McGlinchey endured a torrent of abuse from Lisahally fans when he made the decision to sign for Downeys at the beginning of the 2010/2011 season. Labelled "Judas" and shunned by the Strathfoyle community, McGlinchey missed out on what proved to be the most successful season in the Strathfoyle club's history. There had been rumours circulating throughout Strathfoyle that McGlinchey was considering signing for his local club and last week, manager Noel O'Donnell confirmed the transfer.

Speaking to the Listener, McGlinchey exhuded the enthusiasm of a footballer who simply wants to play:

"Downeys were going down hill and I was asked to join Top of the Hill Celtic, so at the time this seemed like a good decision as they are probably the best team in the league.

"However this was a move I shouldnt have made. I was told I would get games and think, all in all, I ended up getting about 20 minutes. "

The young defender also emphasised how important local camaraderie was when mulling over his options, as well as the extent to which Noel O'Donnell influenced his decision:

"Playing for Eglinton and being with all my mates, I've learned that football (that's soccer to you) isn't all about winning but also about having a bit of craic too.

"Noel was also a big part in me coming back because I always said if he was to have anything to do with it I'd play because he was one of the people who got me started playing when I was 16."

Clearly, however, the real issue for Lisahally fans was the acrimonious nature of McGlinchey's departure from his local club. At the time, the Listener suggested that it gave an insight into the mindframe of the modern footballer and even Eamon Dunphy was rumoured to have branded the behaviour as being akin to that of Cristiano Ronaldo; petulant, impatient, amateur. But McGlinchey appeared glad to finally bury the hatchet with the fans:

"This is the question I've been waiting for." he stated, "There has been that many different stories as to why I left. 

"Downeys had asked me to sign before the start of the season, so it was always in my head. There was a misunderstanding between myself and the management where they thought I was injured when I wasn't.

"I wanted to play on a Sunday and thought I had been dropped for no reason, as I thought I played well the week before. With a bit of anger up, I said I wouldnt play for Lisah' again and went and signed for Downeys.", said McGlinchey

"People can be disappointed but I wanted to play on a Sunday and wasn't willing to stand on the bench. I'm back now and I'm here to prove a point to the fans"

Reflecting on his time at Downey's McGlinchey was full of praise for his former manager, saying he "gets on with him":

"People can say want they want about Downeys but don't forget in my first season with them we finished fourth and got beat in the cup final which we probably should have won.

"However, this season they were struggling to field a team and I thought a move was the right thing. The same way Top of the Hill didn't stop me moving back to Lisah'. They simply said sorry you didnt get more of a chance and good luck."

An avid gaelic footballer, McGlinchey plays for Slaughtmanus and he believes that GAA background gives a player a number of advantages on the football pitch.
McGlinchey in action for Slaughtmanus

"I think fitness is a big thing it brings, as a lot of the training is aimed at getting fit and you can see it in Gavin [McShane] and Aidy [O'Kane] when they play. They dont stop running.

"Being harder in a tackle too as you are used to getting hit every week and know what it takes to win the ball back.

"We should have got Mickey Cooke up to play at a young age because he's a big fairy when it comes to tackling - he doesn't want to wreck his hair half the time."

And while he is confident in his own ability and experience in the top division, the lynch-pin centre half knows that he faces a tough task breaking into a strong Lisahally team.

"There is big competition now. I dont expect just to walk back into the team but I'll wait for my chance and when I get it I wont be moved.

"I've played against all these teams last year and know how most of their strikers play, which gives me a bit of an advantage on the rest of the defence."

While Lisahally have struggled this year, McGlinchey has kept an eye on their progress and believes they have what it takes to turn their season around. He said:

"I think Lisahally's real challenge is to stay up and with the players they brought in like Gavin McShane, Jonny Hume and Mickey Cooke, along with the old boys like Jai, who always gives his all, there's no reason why we cant stay up.

"This Sunday is a 6 pointer and we really need to win it."

The "Judas" turned "Prodigal Son" has finally come back to his local team and he is keen to get started to help improve the fortunes of the club. He also has other aims:

"I'm just looking forward to gettin the kit on and digging in with the rest of the team to get Lisahally to finish as high up the table as they can

"And of course, I can't wait to slag [Mark] Duffy and Aidy [O'Kane] because they think they're superstars these days" he laughed.

One thing is sure, with McGlinchey added to the ranks of Lisahally, the days of conceding eight goals are over.

Make sure to get down to the pitch on Sunday morning to cheer the boys on to victory against Celtic Swifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment