Tuesday, November 27, 2012

'I'd love to play for Lisahally' - Former player Adam Hamilton

Following in the footsteps of his father Drew Macrory, Adam Hamilton began his football career as a goalkeeper and showed tremendous promise in his early years.

He was a member of a 'Golden Age' of football in Strathfoyle, which saw youth teams led by Lawrence Mullan and Raymond Whoriskey flourish locally and nationally, and he made his debut for Lisahally at the age of 16.

"Big Mark Doherty was centre half when I first played for Lisahally," recalls Hamilton. "That's about all I can remember, it was that long ago."

He has since decided to leave the gloves behind him and is now plying his trade as a full back for IFA North West Junior League side Churchill United, but having made a brief cameo appearance for Lisahally last year, Hamilton is keen to re-join his local team.

"I'd love to play for Lisahally now that I don't work on Sundays," he told the Listener. "I'd say I'm good enough to be a squad player, but it'd be tough to push for a starting position because they're a great side.

"I'm playing well enough for Churchill at the minute and I've been working on ironing out my silly mistakes, so we'll see what happens."

Indeed, the Stradowen native has attracted considerable attention in recent weeks, with his ability to play in a number of positions considered an asset and several clubs are monitoring his availability.

"I had an offer from Ballymoore there, but I'd rather play for my local team," he said. "Maybe (Lisahally manager) Stroker will send a scout to the next few Churchill games and hopefully I'll get a chance to be a 'wee dog' again," concluded Hamilton.

Lisahally will face Culmore at the Strathfoyle Arena on Sunday December 3. Kick off 11:30am. Supporters are advised to bring a flask of tea and a bag of Mega Meanies (for Kieran McGlinchey).

No comments:

Post a Comment